BIT seeks a Culinary Master that has a deep love for food and a deep understanding of food as a tool to better the community’s quality of life, to spearhead our B-More Pasta production and Be a Chef for a Day cooking classes.
This full-time position will be based in our culinary space on 5604 York Road. We offer a competitive salary, opportunities for professional development and advancement, a positive work environment, and a commitment to work-life balance.
Reports to the Executive Director.
Job to begin in January of 2022 or until filled.
This is not a remote position.
● This is a full-time salaried position. Salary starts at $42,000 with benefits.
● We work a full-time schedule of 40 hours per week with eight paid holidays a year.
● We provide a generous paid vacation and sick time package, plus a 403b retirement account and a healthcare reimbursement benefit. We value and
respect our employees’ work-life balance, and we strive to maintain a positive work environment.
● All staff is eligible for professional development opportunities and conferences.
Time Commitment: 30%
Be a Chef for a Day – In Cucina Cooking Classes
● Create and manage the schedule for the cooking classes
● Prepare the space for the cooking classes
● Coordinate and execute purchases for the cooking classes
● Keep an accurate inventory
● Coordinate volunteers
● Create a customer experience package
● Coordinate and Promote our Team Building Food Experience
● Assist participants and guest chefs during cooking classes
● Managing the space
Time Commitment: 30%
● Make and pack our pasta
● Train youth in pasta making
● Experiment with new pasta shapes
● Coordinate pasta production with B-More Pasta Program Supervisor
● Connect with B-More Pasta farmers markets sales reps and stores carrying our product ● Coordinate and execute purchases
● Conduct regular check-ups for food safety
● Manage online orders
● Act as a business representative with Local, State, and Federal agencies for Food Maintenance Facility
Time commitment: 20%
Community Food Program Meals
● Food and meals preparation
● Coordinate volunteers for meal preparation
● Organizing documents
Time Commitment: 20%
Be a Chef for a Day School Program
● Assist with ingredients purchase for classes
● assist with inventory and restocking of satellite school classroom
● support teaching activities
● have a deep love for food and an understanding of food as a tool to better the community's quality of life.
● has experience working with immigrants.
● Some college or Bachelor’s degree in nonprofit administration, communications, business, or a related field.
● Hits deadlines consistently.
● Manages time effectively.
● Excels at producing results on time and with minimal supervision.
● Excels at maintaining effective verbal communication with staff and supervisors.
● Good written communication skills (this will be tested).
● Advanced familiarity with Microsoft Word or Google Docs, Powerpoint or Google Slides, and Google Sheets or Excel.
● Has worked with digital filing systems before.
● Excels at communicating with grassroots membership and providing a welcoming space for all, including members of marginalized communities, communities of color, and trauma survivors.
● Takes initiative to suggest and implement changes to existing systems in financial management and administration.
● Enthusiastic participant in team-building activities such as staff retreats, team meetings, conference panels, and community meetings.
● Believes in the mission and values of BIT
● Participates in professional development as needed and helps with annual staff retreat. ● Assist with the production of social media, newsletters, and other external communications
● Other duties as assigned.
Culinary education or previous experience in the culinary sector are preferred
To Apply: Send a resume and cover letter to Monica E. Lapenta at email@example.com. Please write in the subject line, “HIRE – Culinary Master .”
EEO Statement: B-More Pasta does not discriminate in employment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or another non-merit factor.
Be a Chef for a Day empowers kids to cultivate healthy, successful futures for themselves and their families through food literacy, culinary competence, curiosity, and creativity. While our work includes broadening access to quality food and ingredients, we believe providing education around nutritious cooking and eating habits can help transform, fulfill, and sustain our communities beyond hunger.
B-More Pasta is a food social enterprise and an opportunity youth workforce development program that makes fresh artisanal pasta in Baltimore.
B-More Pasta and Be a Chef for a Day are programs of the BIT Center (formerly known as the Italian Cultural Center), whose mission is to support an equitable, prosperous Baltimore, building community health and wealth for citizens of the world who call Baltimore home.
Always inspired by our Italian culture, we do so by:
Join the B-More/ Be a Chef for a Day Team
The Bit Center
315 Homeland Southway, Baltimore, Maryland 21212, United States
Copyright © 2023 The Bit Center - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by The Bit Center